Making a Complaint

Making a complaint about health and care services in Wiltshire

NHS and social care complaints

The right to complain about unsatisfactory service is a key consumer right. The NHS constitution makes a pledge to encourage and welcome feedback on health and care experiences and to use this feedback to improve services.

We know that it is not always easy to find the information you need to make a complaint so below is our guide to making health and care complaints in Wiltshire, which you can find below.

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us

Guidance and practical resources

Advice on making a complaint

Healthwatch England has worked with Citizen’s Advice to produce a series of guides to help you make a complaint or raise a concern about health and care services. You can find out more about what’s involved in making a complaint and see what your next steps might be.

There are tips, tools and practical resources to support you to make an effective complaint.

Contact us if you need more information about this service.

Making a complaint

Guidance and resources from Citizen’s Advice

Advocacy support and guidance

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

If you need support and guidance through the process of making a complaint about your NHS health care, you can contact SEAP.

SEAP can support and guide you through the process of making a formal complaint. An advocate patiently listens to you, helps you to understand and explains your options and choices.  The SEAP advocate ensures you have the support you need to make an informed choice and get the help and support you need to complain about the NHS.  The service is free, independent and confidential.

Health services

Access support from SEAP

Wiltshire Independent Advocacy Service

If you need support and guidance through the process of making a complaint about your mental health care, you can contact Wiltshire Independent Advocacy Service.

Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and to get the services they need. The service is for people over the age of 18 and free for people who meet the criteria to provide Care Act Advocacy, Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA), Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) and generic advocacy.  The service is free, independent and confidential.

Mental health and social care

Contact Wiltshire Independent Advocacy Service

Wiltshire Children’s Advocacy

If you are a child or a young person in care, or if you are a care leaver, and need information about how an advocate can support, provide representation and guidance through the process of making a complaint about health or care services, you can contact Wiltshire Children’s Advocacy.

The service is for children and young people aged 7 years or over in Wiltshire and meet the criteria as either being looked-after, a care leaver, in private foster care or has a disability and accessing overnight short breaks in Wiltshire.

Children's health and care

Access support from Wiltshire Children’s Advocacy

Where to direct your complaint

Local contact information

Below are the key contacts should you wish to raise a concern or make a formal complaint about a service you have recieved from one of the local NHS Trusts, the Clinical Commissioning Group or Wiltshire Council.

In order to resolve your complaint effectively you should try to discuss your issue with the relevant local healthcare professional or care manager before making your complaint official.

Health complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Great Western Hospital
Marlborough Road

Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday, 8.30am-5.00pm

Telephone: 01793 604031

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Royal United Hospital
Combe Park

Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday, 9.20am-4.00pm

Telephone: 01225 825656 and 01225 826319

Customer Care Team

Customer Care Team

Salisbury District Hospital

Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday, 8.30am-4.30pm

Telephone: 0800 374 208

PALS and Complaints Manager

PALS and Complaints Manager

Southgate House
Pans Lane
SN10 5EQ

Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm (answer phone outside of office hours)

Telephone: 0300 123 2103

Community Services Partnership PALS

Community Services Partnership PALS

Ground Floor
Great Western Hospital
Marlborough Road

Office opening hours:
Monday-Friday, 8.30am-5.00pm

Telephone: 0300 123 7797

Mental health complaints

Social care complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Jenner House
Langley Park
SN15 1GG

Opening Hours:
Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Telephone: 01249 468261
Freephone: 0800 073 1778

Customer Services

Customer Services

County Hall
Bythesea Road
BA14 8JN

Office opening hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8.30am-5.30pm
Friday: 8.30am-5pm

Telephone: 0300 456 0100


If you need guidance on how and where to direct a complaint, get in touch with Healthwatch Wiltshire

My complaint still hasn't been resolved

If after going through the complaints process you are still unhappy with the response you have received, the final route you can take depends upon what service your complaint is about.  The Ombudsman services are free, fair and independent.

Health complaints

For complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Social care complaints

For complaints about councils, all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.00pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

Font Resizer